Follow me as I go undercover to bring you information about my adventures in knitting and motherhood.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Darkside Hat

The Darkside Hat pattern is finally complete!  Here is the pdf link.  I had a blast designing it and am hopeful that others will enjoy knitting it as much as I did.  It's based on Sarah Fama's Darkside Cowl and Sarah Hood has written up project notes for a matching set of mitts.  If you're looking for a great set to make for Christmas presents, this one could be a winner. 

Here are some pictures of the two versions I knit up while working out the design.  This one is made out of some gorgeous Trendsetter yarn.  I've already made the cowl to match and have some yarn left that will be made into mitts.






This second version I knit out of some white Paton's Classic Wool.  I like that the design stands out really well with a solid color of yarn but I do think that it's a bit stiff.  If I had it to do over again, I would use some of my Knit Picks Swish Worsted.



In honor of my first design, I'm hosting a contest.  Leave a comment by midnight 10/23/10 with your thoughts on the hat and you could win a skein of Knit Picks Swish DK.  Be sure to leave an email address so I can get in touch with you to let you know you've won.  Happy Knitting!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. Congrats on making your own pattern! I do like the solid colored one better. I'd love to see your matching cowl too... bring it into the office! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the white hat, the stitches stand out so well. thanks for workinf up a hat pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way the pattern stands out in the white yarn too but the top one is soooo pretty, I wonder if a tonal yarn would be a nice middle road?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the darkside cowl pattern and I am busy knitting it for a number of co-workers for Christmas. The pattern stands out more on the plain yarn; I've noticed this on the cowl as well. The pattern is easy, rhythmic, and works up quickly.

    ReplyDelete